The Family Support Program
The TARC Family Support program is a tremendous resource for families raising children with developmental disabilities. It is a bilingual program, offered in both English and Spanish, and is available to families living in areas served by the Tulsa Area United Way.
Family Support encompasses the following services:
- One-on-One Education includes helping families with questions about a specific disability, such as Down syndrome or autism. It also may include helping families access the service delivery system.
- Special Education Advocacy involves working with families and their schools to address the child's needs in the special education system.
- Professional Education affords local professionals, service providers and media representatives access to subject-matter experts on a variety of disabilities-related topics.
- Support Groups are a vital part of the TARC Family Support offering. TARC support groups are:
- Mom's & Dad's Support Group is a support group for parents of children with developmental disabilities. The group meets on the last Thursday of each month from 7 to 9 p.m. at the TARC office, 2516 E. 71st St., Suite A, in Tulsa. Mom's & Dad's Support Group is co-sponsored by TARC and Ability Connection Oklahoma. For information, contact Sherilyn at 918-582-8272.
- ĄJuntos! Hispanic Parents Support Group is a support group for Spanish-speaking parents of children with developmental disabilities. The group meets on the last Monday of each month from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at St. Thomas Moore Catholic Church, 2720 S. 129th E. Ave. in Tulsa. Child care is available during the meeting. Call Zaida at 918-582-8272 for more information. The Hispanic Parents Support Group is co-sponsored by TARC, Ability Connection Oklahoma, and Ability Resources.
- "Connections" Asperger's Group is a social skills group for children and adolescents with Asperger syndrome. The "Connections" group meets at 4:30 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of each month at the TARC office, 2516 E. 71st St., Suite A, in Tulsa. Connections is sponsored by TARC. For information, contact Sherilyn or Amie at 918-582-8272.
- "Links" is a social skills and support group for adults with Asperger's syndrome. The group practices social skills, enjoys presentations on topics determined by the group, and practices social skills in real-life settings. The group meets from 6:30-8:00 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month at the TARC office, 2516 E. 71st St., Suite A, in Tulsa.
- NEW! "Kids Connections" is a new social group designed for children (grades K-5) with Asperger's syndrome and high-functioning autism. The group meets from 4:30-5:30 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month at the TARC office, 2516 E. 71st St., Suite A, in Tulsa. For more information, contact Sherilyn or Amie at 918-582-8272.
- Families in Transition is a meeting for parents of adult children with disabilities. The group meets quarterly and covers topcis of interest to parents. Guest speakers are presented at each meeting. Families in Transition is sponsored by TARC. For information, contact Amie at 918-582-8272.