Advocate for Public Policy
Based on input from members, individuals we serve, board members, staff, and key constituents, the top public policy goals for TARC in 2019 are:
- Maintain funding for individuals served by home and community based services. The state should continue to provide support to individuals who are currently receiving services. The legislature needs to adequately fund DDS services and direct DHS to not cut services or provider rates to those already being served.
- Serve those individuals on the waiting list for home and community based services. The number of individuals on the waiting list has grown each year and, in 2018, those waiting increased to over 7,600 individuals. Funds should be appropriate and designated to start a meaningful initiative to serve individuals on the HCBS waiting list.
- Improve the ability of Oklahoma’s public schools to attract and retain effective special education teachers. Local schools should have adequate state funding to recruit and retain qualified special education teachers.
- Protect health coverage for all. Everyone, especially people with disabilities, should have access to health care.
- Expand service options for individuals on the autism spectrum. Oklahoma should develop and adequately fund a comprehensive system of services that provides for the varied needs of all individuals on the autism spectrum.
To forward progress on these goals, we need YOUR help. Click here to find your federal and state legislatures.
Together Oklahoma has many “Advocacy Tipsheets” with advice on how to contact your senator or representative.